You may be interested in how this site is progressing. The water course re-alignment has now been completed to avoid erosion of the banking on the north side. The maintenance of the beck will be covered by the use of a covenant.
|Re-alignment of the water course|
The area of breezeblock on the front elevation of Plot 1 will be hidden by a slate roof extending the width of the building over the two bay windows.
|Plot 1 now with roof timbers erected; Plot 2 almost at first floor level|
The planning permission has certain conditions, one of which is that prior to the commencement of construction of any building(s) or commencement of the use, the vehicular access to the development must be in accordance with the Proposed Site Plan. This has required a new concrete culvert that will allow access over the beck to what will be a gated private road to the development. This is located at the south west corner of the site.
|Culvert - and main access to the development|
A new footpath has still to be incorporated along the road frontage to link up with the existing footpath near the bungalows. New tree planting will enhance the area too.
No dwellings can be occupied until the private driveway and new footpath have been completed.
Hodgson CloseAs can be seen from the Public Notice, the proposed name for the private drive is 'Hodgson Close'.
|Naming of street|
You might be interested in some of the history behind this name.
George Hodgson was a wealthy industrialist from Bradford in Yorkshire, who took up residence of Nocton Hall in late 1889. He was a very good friend of Lord Ripon, the well-respected owner of what was then deemed the finest agricultural estate in England.
Lord Ripon gave no explanation as to why he had decided to part with his family home, other than he felt the financial strain of maintaining the estate was now beyond his resources. However, he was clearly determined that the state of perfection which prevailed in the park and family areas should continue... and was confident his legacy for the Estate would continue through the Hodgson family.
History well documents how the Ripon family had contributed much to shape Nocton, so much so that a feeling of real security existed in their relationship with the villagers. To lose an individual who had served them all with so much consideration, was an unexpected blow to the community. Coming as he did a complete stranger to Nocton, the villagers and tenants were shattered by the news of George Hodgson having purchased the Estate. That said, his tenure was not to last long at all.
George Hodgson died in 1895 and his eldest son John moved to Nocton. John and his daughter-in-law Ann [the tall and beautiful daughter of Joseph Craven, the first Member of Parliament for Shipley], brought a family of six to the Hall, five sons and one daughter. The seventh child, another daughter, arrived at Nocton Hall. Unfortunately, John Hodgson's health was also to decline, and in 1902 he died at the Hall leaving the running of the estate in the hands of his son Norman, then aged only 25.
Norman set to work, to give the estate a high polish. The Hall was redecorated and wherever possible, labour saving devices installed to give the staff greater help and efficiency. The grounds near the Hall were the first to have the flower borders stocked with a full variety of shrubs and herbaceous plants. The rose borders were enlarged and filled with the varieties most suited for a colourful summer display. Species of rhododendron, first planted by Lord Ripon, were ordered, to add a mass of colour to the side walks through the nearby woods and the 400 acre forest known as 'The Big Wood' received an additional number to enhance its beauty, already famous in Lincolnshire for its rhododendrons and the fantastic displayof lilies of the valley and bluebells. Those who are old enough will recall the sheer magnificence of the Hall grounds and park.
The Hodgson family went on to have a worthy and valued connection with the Nocton Estate, until it was sold to Messrs W H Dennis towards the end of 1919.
[Extracts taken from 'The Revelations of an Imp' by Douglas Craven-Hodgson]