Our first meeting of the 2016-17 programme was an Open meeting which was very well attended and we were delighted to welcome another new member.
Matters discussed in the business section of the meeting included:
- The Denman Fund Raising Appeal – as Denman House is running at a loss at the moment a “Save Denman” appeal has been launched where by Federations, WI`s and individual members have been asked to consider donating a suggested sum of £10 per person over the next two years.
- The two Resolutions chosen to go forward to the AGM in Brighton in June are:
- Appropriate care in hospitals for people with dementia
- Avoid food waste and address food poverty.
- 70th Anniversary Afternoon tea - this will be held at Branston Hall on Monday 4th July
- Flower arranging day - 14th September – there are still two vacant places.
After the refreshments there was an informative, entertaining and thought provoking talk given by the Workhouse Storytellers, a group of National Trust volunteers from nearby Southwell Workhouse. Dressed in period costume they each gave an interpretation of what life was like in the Workhouse from the perspective of the old, the out of work, the sick and of course, from the other side of the coin, as the Matron and Master who ran the establishment. Their tales were interspersed with humour but mainly painted a bleak picture of exactly what the Workhouse represented for the large number of people who found themselves as “inmates” often through no fault of their own.
Our meeting on 9th May is not an open meeting but anyone is welcome to come along and give our very friendly WI group a try at a cost of £3 for the evening. The speaker is Tuula who will be enlightening us on the subject of Sign Language.
Why not visit our website on http://noctonanddistrictwi.weebly.com for even more information.