Wednesday 20 June 2012

Lost Heritage

Nocton Hall

I have recently been in contact with a Matthew Beckett who maintains a great website about England's lost country houses.

You may be interested to read his supportive reply about Nocton Hall, which I reproduce in full below:

"Hi Geoff

Thanks for your email.  Nocton Hall is a tragic case of institutional neglect.  You have a wonderful collection of images and fascinating information - I do hope they opt for the Full Restoration plan as anything less would probably be rather sorry reminder of what was once a wonderful house.  In your research, have you come across any images of the previous house (the one which burnt down in 1834)?

Thanks again for your interest - I would be grateful if you would let me know which option they go for.

Kind regards

Matt"

I provided him with the following information:


"Hi Matt,

I will keep you informed as to what happens with the Hall.

I do have a number of images of the Old Nocton Hall, but am unsure as to the copyright restrictions. However, I can tell you many of the drawings/sketches by AWN Pugin are in the Willson Collection held at the Lincoln Cathedral Library.

I am able to enclose an early image taken from a Lantern Slide presentation, originally shown 23 October 1911 by MH Footman (the collection of various images about Nocton is still held by Mrs Sheila Redshaw – a resident of Nocton).

Best regards,
Geoff"

Old Nocton Hall


If you are interested in visiting Matthew's really informative website, I have now included it in my 'Companion Sites' list.

You may like to know that the index to the 'Sheila Redshaw Archive' is now available on the Nocton Parish Council website, under the 'Village History' tab. To access the core material you will need to submit a Requisition Form to the Parish Clerk, in order that suitable arrangements can be made.
______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: All comments are moderated and will not be posted until screening has taken place. This is to ensure no foul language is posted online. Please leave your name if you are making a comment, even if it is just a first name - thank you.